Sunday, August 25, 2013

Evan Fallenberg: "I cannot and will not ever be able to translate my own work."

Author and translator Evan Fallenberg decided against self-translating his novels into Hebrew, because he doesn't think his linguistic skills would be good enough:
"As good as my Hebrew is, I came to the language too late for it to feel natural when I write in it. And if I can't write in Hebrew, I can't translate."
However he is looking forward to see his novels being translated into Hebrew and to collaborate in the process:
"One day I hope to see my own works translated into Hebrew and other languages. I look forward to being involved in that process, much as I have sat and pondered words and sentences with the authors I've translated."
To read the full interview conducted by Ann Hagman Cardinal in 2008, please click here

No comments:

[CFP] Self-translation in Children's and young adult books

Call for papers: Conference: Self-translation in Children's and young adult books Padua, 13-14 February 2025 Self-translation has only r...