Today I would like to present you a Mayan writer and self-translator: Humberto Ak'abal. He was born in 1953 in Momostenango, Guatemala. He writes his poetry in Quiché and translates it into Spanisch. His poems are published in bilingual editions. Some of his work has been translated from the Spanish version into English, German and other languages.
For further reading and listening:
- Presentation of the author by Mariolein Sabarte Belacortu
- Presentation of the author and the book "Drum Stone", a trilingual edition of selected poems. With the possibility to see inside the book.
- Podcast from a lecture with his english translators given at the Ullapool Book Festival 2010
- Erich Hakl on his German translation "Trommel aus Stein" (in German)
- Article in L'Express (15/10/2010): Humberto Ak'abal: hymnes, lamentos et tambours de pierre (in French)